Director of Public Speaking/Director of the Public Speaking Center
School of Communication Studies
College of Communication and Information
University of Tennessee, Knoxville
The School of Communication Studies at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville is conducting an internal search for a Director of Public Speaking/Director of the Public Speaking Center. The Director will have the opportunity to oversee a team of dedicated and enthusiastic professional public speaking educators who bring passion to their work every day. The Director must be a Distinguished Lecturer in the UT School of Communication Studies.
The Director of Public Speaking/Director of the Public Speaking Center will have a 50% teaching and 50% administrative assignment. The Director will receive additional compensation (i.e., an ADA) of $10,000 per year.
- 7-years of classroom experience in teaching public speaking courses; and
- Hold an M.S. or M.A. degree in communications or a related field.
- Experience coordinating continuing education programs for lecturers
- Demonstrated commitment to work as a member of a team
- Experience coordinating public speaking events
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion
The Director of Public Speaking/Director of the Public Speaking Center will report to the Director of the School of Communication Studies. In addition to their instructional responsibilities, the primary administrative duties of the Director of Public Speaking/Director of the Public Speaking Center are as follows:
- Coordinate and oversee all sections of CMST 210 and CMST 240 (the School’s general education public speaking courses).
- Provide day-to-day supervision of all Communication Studies’ CMST 210 and CMST 240 full-time and part-time lecturers and graduate assistants.
- Conduct annual performance reviews for all CMST 210 and CMST 240 lecturers and graduate students.
- Respond to Communication Studies’ CMST 210 and CMST 240 student issues/complaints as needed.
- Provide day-to-day supervision and management of the Public Speaking Center.
- Provide advice and counsel on the development of instructional technologies for use in public speaking instruction and the Public Speaking Center.
- Develop and administer a continuing education program for all Communication Studies’ CMST 210 and CMST 240 lecturers and graduate assistants.
- Oversee School of Communication Studies’ public speaking events
- Coordinate the search process to fill Communication Studies’ CMST 210 and CMST 240 lecturer openings.
EEO/AA Statement / Non-Discrimination Statement
The University of Tennessee is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA/ADEA institution in the provision of its education and employment programs and services. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or covered veteran status.
Inquiries and charges of violation of Title VI (race, color, and national origin), Title IX (sex), Section 504 (disability), ADA (disability), ADEA (age), sexual orientation, or veteran status should be directed to the (OED). Requests for accommodation of a disability should be directed to the ADA Coordinator at the OED office.
Application Process: To apply, send a letter of application, curriculum vitae, teaching evaluations, teaching philosophy, and the names and contact information for three references in a single PDF to Beth Cole (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Direct questions to Search Committee Chair: Dr. Laura Miller (email@example.com).
Review of applications will begin November 2, 2020 and will continue until the position is filled.